Thursday, August 4, 2011

What is social justice to me

So I settled on social justice. What is social justice in education? Have you ever felt that a topic was so huge that you just didn't know how to talk about it? But here is just a thought. Social justice is a living breathing element of rights, privileges, and entitlements that are found in society that are accessible to rich and the poor, the whites and the nonwhites, the old and the young, the heterosexuals and the LGBTs, and the able and the disabled. When we speak of social justice, however, we often find ourselves speaking about the social injustices that exist in our society because of unequal access that the majority of society have experienced in their lifetimes. I am a product of social injustice in education and I have a voice.

I will be chronicling my thoughts just so I can get a grip on what I want to talk about for my dissertation to help me get through this stage in my life. I am already stressed just writing about it. My vulnerability about my thinking tells me that I am afraid that someone will tell me that I am too simplistic or that I will not make sense, or that they would say, "so what" but that is a risk I take because I do believe there is something in my heart that is worth sharing. In the meantime, I am deep breathing.

1 comment: