Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Brain DUMP

I need a brain dump. So here it is. My brain hurts. I am grinding my teeth, I need to exercise but my treadmill is downstairs and I am too lazy to get to it. I had Farr's Ice Cream Burnt Almond fudge late last night and this morning my stomach hurts, and I am getting so excited about finally finding the article I needed for cultural diversity by John Ogbu.

Last night I was reading this great article by Ogbu and reflected on the irony of my excitement. You see, when I was pursuing my master's degree for Educational Psychology in the late 1990's, I came across his writings then and distinctly remembered loving his stuff. Who would have thought that I would make the connection again so many years later.

His detailed description about cultural diversity really helped me to tease apart one of the complexities of why it is that so many minority students struggle in school. I was quickly reminded of the reality that not all immigrants are treated equal. And not all immigrants have a love for America. You see for me, part of my struggle in the discussion about social justice was that I love America and my experience with the US education system was while not the best in the world, I had to grow into the realization that I was being marginalized and I was being discriminated against, but at the same time, I also believed that I had a responsibility to work through the issues of becoming a good student. I had friends, although I distinctly remember not being invited to many birthday parties when I was in Kansas, I just thought that I just was not popular because of my values of modesty that I practiced as an LDS 6th grader. It never crossed my mind that it was because I part of the reason was that it could have been that I was brown. And then again, maybe it wasn't that I was brown.

Anyone could go crazy thinking and rethinking the past and trying to find the single point that helps you figure out why it is that you might not have been really popular. I couldn't help it that I didn't have blond hair and blue eyes? At the same time, I have to question if that was even the problem? And then again, who really cares? I must have because, because here I am writing about this confusion at the sweet old age of 53. Oh, heck! (My children and husband said that I can't say Oh, my H..... anymore because it just isn't me anymore....hmmmm)

Anyway, back to cultural diversity, the aspect that is deep in my region of processing is the part regarding immigrants who involuntarily came to America, those who were colonized, and their primary relationship with the "dominant" country. Then I remembered thinking about the great Latino students in my several graduate classes who were so articulate and passionate about educational freedom, their rights, and the marginalization they personally experienced in their classes in Texas and in California but not limited to these states. I also remembered thinking that I just couldn't feel their pain and that I was nonplussed that these acts of discrimination were occurring, yet I knew they were occurring. I knew their stories were real, and I knew they needed to be as bold in class because I knew they truly understood the social injustices their nation of people were experiencing. But I didn't get it.

For the longest time, I still didn't get it. Now I have a comprehension of it, but I had to slowly taking the scales from my eyes and recognize the pieces of education that marginalized the Latinos and the African Americans that were in the same way marginalized the Pacific Islanders. Until I could do this, I could not make the connection I needed to find the right fire to battle in my life. I do have my stories of being marginalized in the classroom, the stores, at church. But my desire to fight back doesn't exist.

I believe that there is a reason for my particular point of view in that I also know how to walk with those who have marginalized me and know that the path I am taking is the right one for me to work towards creating awareness among those who I call my friends at work, in my past, and in my future.

You see, Pacific Islanders, while we have been marginalized and discriminated against, we have also been loved and appreciated and accepted. I truly believe that through the natural love and passion we have and the ability we have to integrate with many peoples is a gift and one if used properly can be a part of the solution to unity in our pursuit of maintaining diversity. I have always believed that the Pacific Islanders was the glue that could bring many cultures and race together worldwide. Go figure. I just think we are an awesome people and that we can truly make a difference. Although we are really good with fighting, we are are equally and if not better at loving others, and we don't even need a religion of any sort to do this. It is an inherent part of our nature. More on that later.

If you are wondering why I don't write more about cultural diversity in this forum, it is because I will be writing about the complexity of what I learned in another paper.

Gotta go get ready for work. Feel much better now.



1 comment:

  1. I loved this blog mama.. Thank you thank you thank you for reassuring my own insecurities as an 'artist' in my adventures in pursuing the music business.. it allows me to be normal!!! Love you..

    ReplyDelete